I added 1 tsp if cinnamon along with 1 pkg of instant vanilla pudding to the cake mix. I also added a little cinnamon to the whipped cream. Amazing moistnest and flavor. . Will definitely make again.
Made this for my Grandchildren. It was a big hit they loved it. I made it in a 9X13 pan. I iced it with the cream cheese icing. Turned out great. I did cut up the apples so they were smaller and used a spice cake mix and added a tablespoon of cinnamon to the mix. I omitted the nuts one of the grandkids is allergic. I will definitely make it again and will try a cherry filling.
Needed a “new and different” cupcake idea for a local fundraiser and decided upon these. A great choice! Took the idea from another comment and made one batch with spice cake mix and did the other batch with directions above and instead of using walnuts, used pecans. The cupcakes sold out and everyone really liked what they tasted! Nothing difficult and easily prepared in order to have a delicious cupcake. I will be making these again. However, next time, think I might try with almonds…
Made these today for my husband! They were a hit! I used my half a dozen cupcake pan. This left two rolls, which I unrolled, flattened out and cut for lattice work. He says it didn’t even need topping.
Okay, these were amazing. Made them for a tailgate dessert and everyone loved them. I used a pastry tip to create the holes in the cupcakes which was super easy. A small tip: I microwaved the caramel topping a bit to make it easier to drizzle on the cupcakes. They taste like they required way more work, but truly they’re very simple to make. 5 stars!
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced in to 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
Juice of half lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 can (12.4 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls
whipped cream (from 7oz aerosole can)
caramel-flavored syrup (from 22oz-bottle)
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add apples; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, the cinnamon and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix Topping ingredients with fork or hands until crumbly. Set aside.
4. Separate dough into 8 rolls. Flatten each into 4-inch round; place in muffin cup.
5. Divide Apple Filling evenly onto rolls in muffin cups. Divide Topping evenly over Filling.
6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and tops are lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from muffin cups. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
7. Serve cupcakes topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of syrup.