– This simple gratin of Brussels sprouts is made with only six ingredients plus salt and pepper, and you can easily make it low carb by eliminating the bread crumb topping.
– The Brussels sprouts are cooked and then baked with butter, cream, and an amazing bread crumb and cheddar topping.
– 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
– Dash kosher salt
– Dash freshly ground black pepper
– 4 tablespoons butter (melted, divided)
– 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
– 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
– 1 cup fresh soft bread crumbs
Steps to Make It:
Trim the stems of the Brussels sprouts, and removed damage and loose outer leaves. Rinse well.
Put the trimmed Brussels sprouts in a medium saucepan, and cover with water. Add about 2 teaspoons of kosher salt to the water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the sprouts are tender. Drain in a colander, and let the sprouts cool.
Heat the oven to 400 F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
When the sprouts are cool enough to handle, chop them coarsely, and transfer them to the prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle the Brussels sprouts lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Add 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, and toss to coat. Pour the cream evenly over the sprouts.
Combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix with a fork until thoroughly blended. Add the shredded cheese to the crumbs, and toss to blend.
Sprinkle the bread crumb and cheese mixture over the Brussels sprouts.
Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the topping is deep golden brown.