Discover the art of baking with our Oatmeal Scotchies – a delectable cookie recipe loaded with butterscotch goodness. Get expert baking tips, dessert inspiration, and more!
Indulge your taste buds with the exquisite delight of Oatmeal Scotchies, a timeless classic cookie recipe that boasts the perfect harmony of old-fashioned oats, rich brown sugar, and a generous abundance of delectable butterscotch chips. These mouthwatering treats are the epitome of soft, chewy, and buttery goodness, with a flavor that’s utterly irresistible.
When crafting these Oatmeal Scotchies, there are some pro tips and insightful guidelines to ensure that your baking adventure is a resounding success. To start, consider a quick freeze of the cookie dough for approximately 10 minutes before baking; this not only preserves their shape but also prevents excessive spreading, granting you cookies with a perfect texture.
Furthermore, the choice of oats is crucial. Old-fashioned oats are the only type that will yield the same outstanding results. Remember, even though we’re creating a sweet indulgence, a dash of salt is essential for enhancing the overall flavor profile, so don’t overlook this ingredient.
Measuring the flour accurately is another essential component of success in this recipe. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, make sure to fluff the flour and gently sprinkle it into your measuring cup before leveling it off for precise results.
Should you wish to prepare the cookie dough in advance, you can refrigerate it in a bowl for 2-3 days. Just remember to allow it to come to room temperature for about 20 minutes before portioning it into delectable cookies.
For the best results, it’s recommended to use unsalted butter because we already include salt in the recipe. If you only have salted butter on hand, simply reduce the amount of extra salt you incorporate. And if butterscotch isn’t your cup of tea, feel free to swap it out for chocolate chips, creating a cookie tailored to your personal preferences.
After baking these scrumptious Oatmeal Scotchies, allow them to rest for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring them to a cooling rack for complete cooling.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why Are My Oatmeal Scotchies Flat? If your Oatmeal Scotchies turn out too flat, the culprit might be a lack of proper chilling for the dough just before baking. To avoid this, consider a brief stint in the freezer for about 10 minutes before placing them in the oven.
Can I Prepare These in Advance? Absolutely! You can prepare the cookie dough and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Baked cookies also store well in a sealed container for 4-5 days, ensuring you have a delightful treat ready whenever the craving strikes.
Can They Be Frozen? Yes, indeed! Baked Oatmeal Scotchies can be frozen for future enjoyment. To prevent them from sticking together, separate them with a piece of parchment paper. When you’re ready to enjoy them, ensure that they thaw completely before serving.
Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookie Recipe (Oatmeal Scotchies)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (150g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, softened (226g)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- 3 cups Old-Fashioned Quaker oats (270g)
- 11-ounce package Butterscotch Flavored Morsels (about 2 cups/300g)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and then set it aside.
- In a mixer, combine the softened butter and sugars, beating them until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the vanilla extract, followed by the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low until it’s almost combined. Then, gently introduce the oats and butterscotch morsels, mixing on low until the ingredients are just combined.
- Use a spatula to fold in any remaining bits of unmixed dough. Portion out the dough into two-tablespoon-sized pieces and place them on parchment-lined baking sheets, allowing about 3 inches of space between each.
- While you can bake them immediately, it’s preferable to freeze the rolled cookies for 10 minutes before baking at 375°F for 10 minutes.
So, embark on your Oatmeal Scotchies baking journey, and savor the irresistible blend of flavors and textures that this timeless treat has to offer!