Cruffins: The Perfect Combination of Croissants and Muffins
If you’re a fan of both croissants and muffins, you’re in luck! Cruffins are a delightful pastry that combine the flaky, buttery layers of a croissant with the convenience and portability of a muffin. These delicious treats are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as a sweet afternoon snack.
Cruffins have been gaining popularity in recent years, and for good reason. They’re easy to make and can be customized in a variety of ways to suit your taste. Whether you prefer a classic cinnamon-sugar filling or something more adventurous like chocolate or fruit, cruffins can be adapted to fit your cravings.
To make cruffins, you’ll need a few basic ingredients like flour, yeast, sugar, milk, and butter. The dough is made in a similar way to croissants, with layers of butter folded into the dough to create flaky, buttery layers. The dough is then rolled out and cut into pieces, which are then shaped into muffin cups and baked until golden brown and delicious.
While cruffins may seem intimidating to make, they’re actually quite simple with a little practice. The key is to take your time and follow the directions carefully. The dough needs to be rolled out and folded several times to create those flaky layers, so be patient and don’t rush the process.
Once your cruffins are baked and cooled, they can be filled with a variety of delicious fillings. Some popular options include cinnamon-sugar, Nutella, fruit preserves, or even savory fillings like ham and cheese. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors and fillings.
Cruffins are also a great option for entertaining, as they can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for up to a few days. They’re perfect for brunch parties or as a sweet addition to a dessert table.
In addition to being delicious, cruffins are also a great source of energy to start your day. They’re packed with carbohydrates, which provide energy to keep you going throughout the day. They’re also a good source of protein and healthy fats from the butter, which can help you feel fuller longer and support overall health.
In conclusion, cruffins are a delicious and fun twist on the classic croissant and muffin. They’re easy to make, customizable, and perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re making them for breakfast, brunch, or just as a sweet treat, cruffins are sure to delight your taste buds and impress your guests. So go ahead and give them a try – you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, warm milk, salt, and 1 cup of flour. Add the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Gradually stir in another cup of flour until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead in the remaining cup of flour until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- Beat the butter and egg together until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the butter mixture over the dough, then sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough into a tight log, then cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Dip each piece into the melted butter, then place it into a muffin cup. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cruffins are golden brown and puffed.
- Allow the cruffins to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your delicious cruffins!