* 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
* 2 large eggs, room temperature
* 1 cup hot water
* ½ cup (59g) unsweetened cocoa
* 1 teaspoon instant coffee
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 2½ cups (312.5g) all-purpose flour, sifted
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup (245g) buttermilk, room temperature
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
COFFEE WHIPPED CREAM:
* 2 cups (476g) heavy cream, cold
* ½ cup (62.5g) confectioners’ sugar
* 2 tablespoons Bailey Irish Cream
* 1 tablespoons coffee extract
* ½ teaspoon cornstarch
* 6 ounces (¾ cup) dark chocolate chips
* ½ cup (119g) heavy cream, room temperature
* 1 cup chopped chocolate sandwich cookies, (Oreos)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare three 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick spray and/or parchment.
In the bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment, add the granulated sugar and eggs and beat on high for 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the hot water, cocoa powder, instant coffee, and salt. With mixer on lowest setting, add to sugar mixture.
With mixer still on low slowly add in flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Let mix to incorporate.
Add in oil, buttermillk, and vanilla extract. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Do not overmix.
Evenly pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick is removed clean.
Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack. Let cakes cool to room temperature or place in fridge until ready to assemble.
COFFEE WHIPPED CREAM:
Place a clean stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Remove bowl from fridge and place on mixer. Add cream and whip on high until soft peaks form.
Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar, Irish Cream, coffee extraxt, and cornstarch.
Once everything is incorporated, turn mixer back to high and whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer to fridge until ready to assemble.
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and heavy cream. Microwave on high for 15 seconds at a time, whisking together with a fork after each interval. Once the chocolate has melted into a shiny, smooth sauce (about 45 seconds total) transfer to the fridge to cool for 15 minutes.