* 1 pound Hot Breakfast Beef Sausage
* 4 medium Yukon potatoes diced into 1/2″ pieces, about 5 cups
* 8 ounces white or crimini mushrooms quartered
* 1 14 ounce can cannellini beans, white kidney beans, or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
* 1/2 small head of cabbage cored and sliced into 1/2″ wide strips
* 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
* 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper adjust to taste
* 1/4 teaspoon thyme adjust to taste
* 1/4 cup water
Heat a large deep skillet over medium high heat. Cook and crumble the sausage, then remove to a small bowl. Leave the grease in the skillet and add enough olive oil to make about a tablespoon’s worth. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle generously with spices and stir again. Pour 2 tablespoons of water into the pan and cover with lid. Let cook for 5 minutes. Stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan as needed. Add an additional 2 tablespoons of water, if the pan is dry. Cover again and cook 5 minutes longer, until the potatoes are fork tender.
Uncover the pan and add the cooked sausage and mushrooms. Stir and continue cooking for a few minutes, until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add the cabbage and the beans and toss together. Cook for just a couple more minutes, until the cabbage turns bright green and is barely softened. Sprinkle with additional spices as the cabbage is cooking. Taste and adjust the spices as desired.