Black Forest Sheet Cake
Black Forest Texas Sheet Cake Recipe combines chocolate cake with cherries and is topped with a smooth chocolate icing that’s to die for!
In a word, this black forest sheet cake is epic. Black forest cake (traditionally chocolate cake paired with a sweet cherry filling and whipped cream) gets a summer makeover into a sheet cake that’s perfect for a crowd!
This Black Forest Poke Cake is a gooey chocolate cake filled with hot fudge and cherry pie filling. It is topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Rich (but easy to make) chocolate sheet cake topped with loads of sweet cherries, whipped cream, and shaved chocolate.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 24 oz frozen pitted cherries, thawed
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Shaved chocolate, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in cocoa powder.
- Once melted, stir in boiling water and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, 1 cup of the white sugar, the brown sugar, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs.
- Pour chocolate into dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- While cake bakes, combine the cherries and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Once sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Spoon cherry mixture over cooked cake (you don’t need to use all of the syrup).
- Let cool to room temperature.
- While cake and cherries cool, make frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing on low in between additions.
- Add cream and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Dollop frosting over cherries and spread out.
- Top with chocolate shavings, chill for 20 minutes before slicing.