Corn dogs are super easy to make at home
Corn dogs are the ultimate party pleasers that are sure to steal the show! Picture this: a mouthwatering cornbread batter, light and savory, enriched with the tanginess of buttermilk, embracing a hot dog in perfect harmony. With a tender and moist interior, and a satisfyingly crispy exterior, these corn dogs embody the epitome of corn dog perfection. Nothing quite compares to the delightful experience of sinking your teeth into a freshly cooked corn dog straight from the skillet, tantalizing your taste buds with a burst of flavors. And don’t forget to elevate the experience by sprinkling your favorite spices on top, turning it into a full-blown party in your mouth!
You may like also: MINI CORN DOGS
But here’s what makes making corn dogs at home even more exciting – the opportunity to involve your kids in the process! Let them take charge of mixing the cornbread batter, skewering the sausages, and, the best part, dipping them in the luscious coating. While the adults take charge of the frying duties, the kids will thoroughly enjoy being a part of the preparation process. It’s an activity that brings the whole family together, fostering a sense of togetherness and creating lasting memories. Plus, everyone will be absolutely smitten with the incredible taste of these homemade corn dogs. In fact, they may become such a family favorite that you’ll never feel the need to buy corn dogs at the fair ever again!
Let’s dive into what you’ll need to make these easy and delicious corn dogs. To ensure a burst of flavor that your family will adore, be sure to use your favorite brand of hot dogs. Once you’ve experienced the sheer delight of these homemade corn dogs, they’ll quickly become a beloved staple in your household. All the measurements and details can be found in the recipe card provided below for your convenience.
You may like also: Corn Dog Bites
Here’s a list of the ingredients you’ll need:
- Canola oil for frying
- 12 regular-sized and thickness hot dogs
- 12 hot dog or lollipop sticks, candy sticks, wooden skewers, or similar alternatives
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup milk
Now, let’s walk you through the step-by-step directions to ensure your corn dogs turn out absolutely perfect:
- Begin by heating approximately 2 inches of canola oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven to a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This will provide the ideal frying environment for your corn dogs.
- Before diving into the batter, prepare your hot dogs by patting them dry with a paper towel and inserting the sticks into each hot dog. Set them aside momentarily while you prepare the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, fine cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder until well combined. This dry mixture will be the foundation of the flavorful corn dog batter.
- In another bowl or a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the egg, honey, buttermilk, and milk until thoroughly blended. This liquid mixture will serve as the key wet ingredients for your batter.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring well to ensure a smooth and thick batter that will evenly coat the hot dogs when dipped. You’ll notice that the batter has the perfect consistency, thick enough to adhere to the hot dog but still smooth enough for a flawless coating.
- Fill a tall glass with the batter and dip each hot dog into the glass, ensuring it is fully submerged. To avoid air bubbles, gently rotate the hot dog as you remove it from the batter. If you spot any bubbles or areas with less coating, simply give it another quick dip.
- Carefully place the coated hot dog into the preheated oil, allowing it to cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, or until the exterior achieves a delightful golden brown color on all sides. Once cooked to perfection, remove the corn dog from the oil and let it rest on absorbent paper to remove any excess oil. It’s essential to serve these delightful treats immediately to preserve their irresistible crunch and flavors.
- If you happen to have any leftover batter, it can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, providing you with the opportunity to fry up more corn dogs at a later time. Similarly, any leftover scraps of hot dog can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or even frozen for future use.
Now, it’s time to savor the fruits of your labor! Gather your loved ones and enjoy the mouthwatering delight that is your homemade corn dogs. The combination of the golden and crispy exterior, the flavorful cornbread batter, and the succulent hot dog nestled within is a culinary experience that will leave everyone craving for more.
So, don’t hesitate to embark on this culinary adventure with your family and create cherished memories together. With these easy-to-follow steps and a few simple ingredients, you’ll have a plate full of delectable corn dogs that are sure to impress. Let the aroma of frying corn dogs fill your kitchen, bringing smiles to the faces of your loved ones. Say goodbye to fair-bought corn dogs and embrace the joy of homemade goodness. Enjoy!