“Divinity Candy” A delicious homemade confection!! OMG…PERFECT on a day with low to no humidity!! This Grandmother’s Heavenly Divinity Candy was Delicious. A staple in my household.
This Old Fashioned Divinity Candy Recipe is a wonderful, Southern confection that is perfect for adding to a plate of goodies to share with loved ones!
This Easy Homemade Divinity is incredible! Smooth, fudgy and delectable, this snow-white candy is surprisingly simple to make!
Old fashioned divinity is a vintage recipe for a meringue-based candy that I would describe as somewhere between fudge (even though there is no chocolate in most divinity, it is often even referred to as Divinity Fudge), nougat, and marshmallow.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR Divinity Candy:
– 2 to 1/2 cups of sugar
– 1/2 cup of light corn syrup
– 1/2 cup of water
– 1/4 teaspoon of salt
– 2 egg whites
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla
– 1/2 cup chopped pecans or 1/2 cup cherries; If desired
1. Make sure to combine together sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in a 2 quart saucepan.
2. Then cook at 260 degrees to hardball stage, stirring only until sugar dissolves.
3. When syrup reaches 250 degrees, please beat egg white until stiff peaks form.
4. Now that the temperature of syrup reaches 260 degrees, very gradually add the syrup to egg whites, beating at high speed with electric mixer.
5. Immediately add vanilla and beat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until candy holds its shape.
6. You may want now to stir in the chopped nuts or cherries
7. Finally remember to drop candy from a teaspoon onto waxed paper, swirling the top of each piece.
Adapted from happycoking.com