Molds are fungi that are invisible to the naked eye and are found in nature. When it grows too large, mold can cause health problems.
They can grow throughout the home. Some signs of mold or excessive moisture:
Spots of different colors but often green or black:
+ On walls, ceilings or carpets,
+ Around windows,
+ In lockers, etc.;
The presence of a characteristic aromatic smell;
Dark circles, warp, chipping, or other signs of water leakage on walls or ceilings may indicate a problem hidden behind the material.
Indeed, when mold is visible or there are signs of its presence, it is imperative to conduct a thorough home inspection to find out the cause and take appropriate measures to correct the situation. To learn how to clean a surface affected by mold, see Eliminating Mold.
If you are a tenant or landlord and notice mold in the home, consult the Help and Resources department.
Tips for discovering the possible causes
Check the outside at least once a year to make sure everything is in good condition:
Do regular housekeeping as well as a full check of all rooms at least once a year. This makes it possible to detect traces of waterproofing and mold:
Behind the furniture
In the basement, etc.
Avoid mold growth
Act quickly if water is damaged
The presence of standing water, seepage, or material soaked in water helps the development of mold.
Thoroughly clean and dry any water damage within 24 to 48 hours.