* 1 large onion, thinly sliced
* 2 cups buttermilk
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* Oil, for frying
1. Place onion rings in a container. Pour buttermilk over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for at least an hour.
2. In a separate shallow dish (such as a pie plate), combine the flour with salt and pepper.
3. In a deep skillet or fryer, heat oil to 375°F.
4. Working in batches, take some of the onions from the buttermilk and coat in the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and immediately place the onions in hot oil. Carefully mix the onions in the oil with a metal slotted spoon (to break them up) and allow to cook until golden brown. Remove onions from oil with a metal slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining onion slices.