* 5 lbs. beef roast such as chuck, or rump
* 2 packages au jus seasoning mix 2 ounces each
* 2 packages dry Italian salad dressing mix 2 ounces each
* 32 ounces beef broth homemade or packaged
* 4-6 slices bread thick and crusty, such as Texas Toast
* mashed potatoes
* 1/2 cup gruyere cheese shredded
Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place the beef roast inside and sprinkle with the four packets of seasoning.
Pour Beef Broth over the roast.
Cook on high for 6-8 hours or until tender.
When cooked, strain the broth into a bowl and reserve.
Shred or slice the beef into small bite-sized sections. Discard away any fat and gristle.
Prepare the mashed potatoes.
Toast the bread. For extra-thick slices, broil for 2-4 minutes until golden.
Assemble the open-faced sandwiches by placing the toasted bread on a plate and topping it with mashed potatoes. Add a generous portion of the shredded/sliced beef. Drizzle a couple of spoonfuls of the reserved au jus over the meat and sprinkle with gruyere cheese.
Serve with a knife and fork. Enjoy!