This one bowl simple cake is so dense and delicious that you won’t believe that you can mix it up in mere minutes!
This Chocolate Wacky Cake is a delicious old-fashioned one-pan chocolate cake that contains no eggs, butter, or milk! It’s totally wacky and vegan too!
Depression cake OR vegan wacky cake OR crazy cake OR poor man’s cake OR war cake… This cake goes by MANY names!
This vintage depression cake recipe (wacky cake recipe) is quick and easy to make with simple ingredients in 1 bowl! It has no butter, no milk, no eggs.
This SIMPLE chocolate cake recipe was developed during the Great Depression era.
If you try these “Old-Fashioned Crazy Wacky Cake”, let us know what you think! Leave a comment, pin it, and don’t forget to send a picture. We love to see your kitchen skills in action!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans with butter or non-stick spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, then whisk in water, oil, vinegar, coffee, and vanilla.
- Stir until no lumps remain, then pour mixture evenly into greased cake pans.
- Place in oven and bake for 24-26 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, make frosting by whisking together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl or mixer.
- Add water, softened butter and vanilla extract, and beat together until smooth and creamy. Add more sugar for a thicker frosting and more water for a thinner frosting.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool before frosting.